MAC’s Fabulous Felines Collection Makes Us Purr
Leopard and cheetah motifs are scratching their way into the heights of fashion this season, but designers aren’t the only ones nursing a feline fixation. For Fall 2010, MAC Cosmetics is exploring every creature in the Felidae family — from the elegant, domesticated Persian cat to the swift and graceful jaguar, the secretive snow leopard, the merciless and powerful lion, and the fearless Bengal tiger, which is often used to represent war and wrath.
The new Fabulous Felines collection is divided into three categories — Burmese Beauty, Palace Pedigreed, and Leopard Luxe — each with a distinctive feel created by a corresponding color palette and a harmony of textures. Below, you’ll find images of the products in each color collection within the Fabulous Felines range, as well as swatches of a handful of key products. Roar!
Jungle cats, get ready to pounce! The Burmese Beauty color collection features khaki brown, olive green, earthy mauve, fir green, neutral taupe, and dirty brown shades that recall the lush thicket of vines, trees, shrubs, and plant life found in rainforests, as well as the sepia tree trunks and reeds and the dark wet soil therein.
Below, you’ll found a breakdown of the products in the color collection:
These pigment-saturated loose colors help you achieve the most mysterious, sensuously carnal looks. Here are the two shades in this particular collection:
- Antique Green (A frosted forest green with turquoise undertones)
- Gold Stroke (A tarnished gold with earthy brown tones)
Pigments, $19.50 each at MACcosmetics.com
EYE SHADOW X 4 IN BURMESE BEAUTY
This limited-edition eyeshadow quad (which I’m lusting after myself) features: Prized, a satin yellow-based beige; Skintone 2, a dirty-ish gold with a frosted finish; Burmese Beauty, a frosted forest green with brown undertones; and Showstopper, a matte blackened brown.
Burmese Beauty Eye Shadow x 4, $36. Available at MACcosmetics.com
SUPERSLICK LIQUID EYE LINER
These liquid liners feature a tiny, angled point to yield more precision when trying to achieve the most exquisite cat eye ever. The three shades in the Burmese Beauty color collection are:
- Desires & Devices (Dark green with sparkles)
- Defiantly Feline (Chocolate brown with soft pearl)
- Treat Me Nice (Emerald green with soft pearl)
Superslick Liquid Eye Liner, $17.50. Available at MACcosmetics.com
- The Soft Meow (md-tone golden bronze with a frosted finish)
Mineralize Brush, $21. Available at MACcosmetics.com
Berry, taupe, and gold lipstick tones prevail in this collection. Here are the four shades:
- Pet Me Please (light, dirty-looking mauve with a frosted finish)
- To Pamper (creamy taupe with a lustrous finish)
- Liquid Lurex (light yellow-tinged green with a glitter-saturated, dazzle finish)
- Kittenish (a creamy red berry color)
Burmese Beauty Lipsticks, $14.50. Available at MACcosmetics.com
The glosses in this collection reflect the diversity of this color collection, with a trio of green, brown and taupe-ish pink. The exact shades offered are:
- Spree (a pink taupe shade)
- Jealous (a dirty-looking light green with pearl particles)
- Fancy Cat (a dark brown with pearl particles)
Burmese Beauty Lipglass, $14.50. Available at MACcosmetics.com
Developed in homage to the Russian Blue cat, with its silvery gray coat, this color collection focuses on royalty-ready purples, mauves, lavenders and plums, as well as moody gray and silver tones, and deep sea navy blues.
Below, you’ll find the list of products the collection, as well as swatches of the three products I tried:
The two pigment shades in this color collection are both very deep, berry-ish purples with taupe and brown tones. In particular, the loose pigments are:
- Mauvement (a brown-ish, plum-y, mid-toned taupe with gold particles)
- Bloodline (a Count Dracula-worthy, browned purple)
MAC Palace Pedigreed Pigments, $19.50 each. Available at MACcosmetics.com
Though this eyeshadow quad features gloomy, gray-ish shades, it will give your face so much glee. This quad includes four shades: Courtly, a muted pink beige with a satin finish; Palace Pedigreed, a wine-ish berry shade with a soft pink pearl finish; Quite Spoiled, a neutral mauve color with a satin finish; and Russian Blue, a deep neutral gray with a matte finish.
MAC Eye Shadow x 4 in Palace Pedigreed, $36. Available at MACcosmetics.com
SUPERSLICK LIQUID EYE LINERS
These liners focus on the nocturnal shades in the spectrum: a cosmic, space-aged silver; a deep maritime blue; and a prune-ish purple color.
- Nocturnal (a glimmering silver shade)
- Smoky Heir (a blackened blue violet with pearl particles)
- Signature Blue (a dark navy color with soft pearl particles)
MAC Superslick Liquid Eye Liners, $17.50 each. Available at MACcosmetics.com
The one shade in this collection is a really fleshy pink with very soft, sparse pearl particles.
- Pet Me (a yellow-tinged, fleshy pink with a very soft pearly finish)
Here’s what the Pet Me blush looks like on the skin:
MAC Mineralize Blush in Pet Me, $21. Available at MACcosmetics.com
Deep black cherry, lavender, mauve, and blue-toned pinks in various finishes and intensities abound in this succulent array of lipsticks. I didn’t have a chance to try all the shades in here, but I did get to test out the Cunning lipstick color, which is a sheer, almost glaze-like boysenberry shade (check out the pics below). Here are all four shades in the collection:
- Superior (a sheer lavender pink saturated with pink glitter particles)
- Of Royalty (a creamy, blue-toned pink)
- Aristo-Cat (a mid-tone purple mauve with a frosted finish)
- Cunning (a frosted dark blackberry shade)
Here’s a swatch of the Cunning shade:
MAC Lipstick, $14.50 each. Available at MACcosmetics.com
This fascinating trio of lip glosses explores grayish, blue-toned pinks, blues, and purples. The three shades offered are:
- Docile (a dirty lavender pink with a pearly finish)
- Best of Breed (a dirty, teal-tinged blue with a pearly finish)
- Lap of Luxury (a dark, plum-tinged, eggplant purple with pearlescent particles)
I had the opportunity to try the Docile Lipglass, a quirky amaranth pink with an almost opalescent, transformative quality and a lovely surge of glimmering pink pearl particles. Here’s what the Docile shade looks like on skin:
MAC Lipglass, $14.50 each. Available at MACcosmetics.com
Golden, camel, sepia, terracotta, brick red, mustard yellow, and chocolate brown colors abound in this color collection, which was inspired by the leopard. Like the animal it pays homage to, the makeup pieces in this collection seem subtle, like they’re camouflage-ready wear, but they then turn around and pounce, evoking an unexpected aura of glamour.
Below, you’ll find a breakdown of the products in the collection.
Since lions, leopards, and tigers reign supreme in the feline university, so it’s only fitting that the pigment shades in this collection should reference gold — whether through a shimmering, veil-like, beige gold, or a brassy, tarnished color. The two pigment shades are:
- Lithe (A frosted warm nude with gold particles)
- Old Gold (A frosted, tarnished gold with a brassy green tint)
I had the chance to try the Lithe pigment, and I absolutely adore it since it gives lids this almost translucent, stardust-covered quality.
Here’s what the Lithe pigment looks like:
MAC Pigments, $19.50. Available at MACcosmetics.com
EYE SHADOW x 4
The quad for this collection is perhaps the most universal arragement of colors, featuring: Wild By Nature, a matte camel shade; Style Predator, a velvety, pearl-saturated, squash-like, yellow orange; Notoriety, a dirty brown hue with gold shimmer; and Furiously Fabulous, a frosted black shade.
MAC Eye Shadow x 4 in Leopard Luxe, $36. Available at MACcosmetics.com
SUPERSLICK LIQUID EYE LINERS
These liquid liners are a must-have for women who want a Cleopatra-worhty cat eye look. The three shades available are:
- Pure Show (a bright yellow gold with plenty of shimmer)
- Marked For Glamour (a charcoal gray with soft pearl particles)
- On The Hunt (a slick, jet black color)
I tried out the Pure Show and the On The Hunt shades, and here’s what they look like on the skin. The best part: they look just as slick and shiny on your lids, after hours of wear, as they do in this picture.
Superslick Liquid Eye Liners, $17.50. Available at MACcosmetics.com
The one blush in this collection is a brick-tinged, peachy brown hue. The color is called:
- Utterly Game (a warm peach with soft pearl)
MAC Mineralize Blush, $21. Available at MACcosmetics.com
There are four colors in this earthy, caramel-, coral-, gold-, and bronze-tinged collection of lipsticks; they are:
- Out Minxed (a light yellow gold glaze)
- Drive Me Wild (a mid-tone coral with a golden sheen)
- Powerful (mid-tone bronze with multi-colored pearl particles)
- The Prowl (a lustrous dark chocolate shade with hints of amber)
I adore the Out Minxed shade since it just makes your lips look like they’ve been dipped, but not cast, in a light, elegant gold. Here’s what the color looks like:
MAC Lipstick, $14.50. Available at MACcosmetics.com
Three warm, golden lip gloss shades are featured in this collection:
- A Quiet Roar (a pale white gold)
- Schemer (yellow camel with red and gold pearl particles)
- Wildly Refined (a mid-tone, brown-tinged coral with gold particles)
Out of all three shades, I tried the Schemer color, which is really versatile. Here’s a swatch for you:
MAC Lipglass, $14.50. Available at MACcosmetics.com